— Laura Duncan, Boulder High School
What does it take to be a successful teacher? In On Teaching Science, noted educator and astrophysicist Jeffrey Bennett argues that the primary key to success lies in finding ways to get students to put in the study and effort necessary for true learning, and he provides clear and concrete guidance about how to make this happen. Bennett begins by discussing the definition of teaching and the nature of science, then introduces:
- The ONE key to student success
- THREE big picture ideas about teaching
- FIVE general suggestions on how to be a successful teacher
- SEVEN specific pedagogical strategies that can help in any teaching, but especially in science and math
Though aimed primarily at science teachers and administrators, the book will prove valuable to anyone concerned with education, including pre-service teachers, current teachers of any subject (both K–12 and college), parents, and policy makers.
Using this web site:
- About provides more details about the book, including the table of contents and information about using the book as a textbook in education courses.
- Workshops provides information about how to schedule a seminar with the author or a workshop based on the book.
- Resources provides additional resources related to the book, including the handout “How to Succeed in College Courses” and information about Story Time From Space.
- Teaching Suggestions provides a forum for reader submissions offering suggestions for teaching that build upon ideas in the book.
Published by Big Kid Science
Education, Perspective, and Inspiration for People of All Ages